Chevrolet Sonic Repair Manual: Steering Linkage Outer Tie Rod Inspection
GE-8001Dial Indicator Set
For equivalent regional tools, refer to Special Tools.
This inspection procedure does not supersede local government required inspections that have more stringent requirements.
- Inspect the outer tie rod seal. If the outer tie rod seal is torn, replace the outer tie rod. Refer to Steering Linkage Outer Tie Rod Replacement.
- Raise the side of the vehicle being inspected with a floor jack while maintaining contact between the opposite wheel and the shop floor. Support the lower control arm with a floor jack stand as far outboard as possible and remove the floor jack. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
- Install theGE-8001dial indicator between the outer tie rod and the steering knuckle as shown in the graphic. Note that the tire and wheel assembly is shown removed only for clarification of theGE-8001dial indicator position.
- Grasping the tire at the 3 o'clock (2) and 9 o'clock (1) positions, gently push in on one side of the tire to remove any lash.
- Zero theGE-8001dial indicator .
- On the same side of the tire previously pushed inwards, gently pull outwards and measure the lash.
- Record the measurement shown on theGE-8001dial indicator .
- If the measured value exceeds 0.5 mm (0.02 in), replace the outer tie rod. Refer to Steering Linkage Outer Tie Rod Replacement.
- Repeat the procedure for the other side.