Defogger and deicer
Defogger and deicer
1) Rear window defogger
2) Outside mirror defogger (if equipped)
3) Windshield wiper deicer (if equipped)
The vehicle is equipped with a rear window defogger. For some models, the outside mirror defogger and/or windshield wiper deicer are/is also equipped. The defogger and deicer system is activated only when the ignition switch is in the “ON” position.
Manual climate control system
Automatic climate control system (type A)
Automatic climate control system (type B)
To activate the defogger and deicer system, push the control switch that is located on the climate control panel. The rear window defogger, outside mirror defogger and windshield wiper deicer are activated simultaneously. The indicator light on the control switch illuminates while the defogger and deicer system is activated.
To turn them off, push the control switch again. They also turn off when the ignition switch is turned to the “Acc” or “LOCK” position.
The defogger and deicer system will automatically shut off after approximately 15 minutes. If the rear window and the outside mirrors have been cleared and the windshield wiper blades have been deiced completely before that time, push the control switch to turn them off. If defrosting, defogging or deicing is not complete, you have to push the control switch to turn them on again.
For models with the automatic climate control system, it is possible to set the defogger and deicer system for the continuous operation mode as follows.
. Models with genuine SUBARU navigation system:
The settings can be changed for the continuous operation mode using the navigation monitor. For details, refer to the Owner’s Manual supplement for the navigation system.
The settings can also be changed by a SUBARU dealer. Contact your SUBARU dealer for details.
. Models without genuine SUBARU navigation system:
The settings can be changed by a SUBARU dealer. Contact your SUBARU dealer for details.
. To prevent the battery from being discharged, do not operate the defogger and deicer system continuously for any longer than necessary.
- Do not use sharp instruments or window cleaner containing abrasives to clean the inner surface of the rear window. They may damage the conductors printed on the window.
- Turn on the defogger and deicer system if the wipers are frozen to the windshield.
- If the windshield is covered with snow, remove the snow so that the windshield wiper deicer works effectively.
- While the defogger and deicer system is in the continuous operation mode, if the vehicle speed remains at 9 mph (15 km/h) or less for 15 minutes, the windshield wiper deicer automatically stops operating, though the rear window defogger and outside mirror defogger maintain continuous operation in this condition.
- While the defogger and deicer system is in the continuous operation mode, if the battery voltage drops below the permissible level, continuous operation of the defogger and deicer system is canceled and the system stops operating.