Dodge Avenger: Autostick — if equipped
AutoStick is a driver-interactive transmission that offerssix manual ratio changes to provide you with morecontrol. AutoStick allows you to maximize engine braking,eliminate undesirable upshifts and downshifts, andimprove overall vehicle performance. This system canalso provide you with more control during passing, citydriving, cold slippery conditions, mountain driving,trailer towing, and many other situations.
By placing the shift lever one shift-level below the DRIVEposition, it can be moved from side to side. This allowsthe driver to select a higher or lower range of gears.
Moving the shift lever to the left (-) triggers a downshiftand to the right (+) an upshift. The gear position willdisplay in the instrument cluster on the transmissionrange indicator.
NOTE: In AutoStick mode, the transmission will onlyshift up or down when the driver moves the shift lever tothe right (+) or left (-).
from the AutoStick (+/-) position into the DRIVEposition.
• You can start out, from a stop, in any gear except sixth.
The system will ignore attempts to upshift at too lowof a vehicle speed.
• If a ratio other than first gear is selected, and thevehicle is brought to a stop, the transmission controllogic will automatically select the first gear ratio.
• Starting out in second gear is helpful in snowy or icyconditions.
• Avoid using speed control when AutoStick is engaged.
• The transmission will automatically shift up whenmaximum engine speed is reached while AutoStick isengaged.
• Transmission shifting will be more noticeable whenAutoStick is engaged.
• If a downshift would cause the engine to over-speed,that shift will not occur until it is safe for the engine.
The transmission will stay in the manually selectedratio.
• If the system detects powertrain overheating, thetransmission will revert to the automatic shift modeand remain in that mode until the powertrain cools off.
• If the system detects a problem, it will disable theAutoStick mode and the transmission will return tothe automatic mode until the problem is corrected.