Hyundai Elantra: Operating precautions for catalytic converters (if equipped)
WARNING - Fire
- A hot exhaust system can ignite flammable items under your vehicle. Do not park, idle, or drive the vehicle over or near flammable objects, such as grass, vegetation, paper, leaves, etc.
- The exhaust system and catalytic system are very hot while the engine is running or immediately after the engine is turned off. Keep away from the exhaust system and catalytic, you may get burned. Also, do not remove the heat sink around the exhaust system, do not seal the bottom of the vehicle or do not coat the vehicle for corrosion control. It may present a fire risk under certain conditions.
Your vehicle is equipped with a catalytic converter emission control device.
Therefore, the following precautions must be observed:
- Use only UNLEADED FUEL for gasoline engines.
- Do not operate the vehicle when there are signs of engine malfunction, such as misfire or a noticeable loss of performance.
- Do not misuse or abuse the engine. Examples of misuse are coasting with the ignition off and descending steep grades in gear with the ignition off.
- Do not operate the engine at high idle speed for extended periods (5 minutes or more).
- Do not modify or tamper with any part of the engine or emission control system. All inspections and adjustments must be made by an authorized HYUNDAI dealer.
- Avoid driving with a extremely low fuel level. Running out of fuel could cause the engine to misfire, damaging the catalytic converter.
Failure to observe these precautions could result in damage to the catalytic converter and to your vehicle. Additionally, such actions could void your warranties.