Kia Optima: Winter Driving
- We recommend that you carry emergency equipment, including tire chains, a window scraper, windshield de-icer, a bag of sand or salt, flares, a small shovel and jumper cables.
- Make sure you have sufficient ethylene-glycol coolant in the radiator.
- Check the battery condition and cables. Cold temperatures reduce the capacity of any battery, so it must be in excellent condition to provide enough winter starting power.
- Make sure the engine oil viscosity is suitable for cold weather.
- Check the ignition system for loose connections and damage.
- Use antifreeze-formulated windshield washer fluid. (Do not use engine coolant antifreeze.)
- Do not use the parking brake if it might freeze. When parking, shift to 1 (First) or R (Reverse) with a manual transaxle or P (Park) with an automatic transaxle, and block the rear wheels.