Toyota Highlander Service Manual: On-vehicle inspection
NOTICE: In this section, the terms "cold" and "hot" refer to the temperature of the coils. "Cold" means approximately -10 C (14 F) to 50 C (122 F). "Hot" means approximately 50 C (122 F) to 100 C (212 F).
1. INSPECT IGNITION COIL ASSY (WITH IGNITER) AND PERFORM SPARK TEST
(a) Check for DTCs.
NOTICE: If a DTC is present, perform a troubleshooting in accordance with the procedure for that DTC.
(b) Check if sparks occur.
- Remove the V-bank cover (see page 14-24 ).
- Remove the intake air surge tank (see page 14-24 ).
- Remove the ignition coils.
- Using a 16 mm (0.63 in.) plug wrench, remove the spark plugs.
- Install the spark plugs to each ignition coil and connect the ignition coil connectors.
- Disconnect the 6 injector connectors.
- Ground the spark plugs.
- Check if sparks occur at each spark plug while the engine is being cranked.
- Be sure to ground the spark plug when checking.
- Replace the ignition coil if given physical impact is given to the coil.
- Do not crank the engine for more than 2 seconds.
If sparks do not occur, do the following test:
- Using a 16 mm (0.63 in.) plug wrench, install the spark plugs.
Torque: 25 NVm (255 kgfVcm, 18.5 ftVlbf)
- Install the ignition coil.
Torque: 8.0 NVm (82 kgfVcm, 71 in.Vlbf)
- Install the intake air surge tank (see page 14-24 ).
- Install the V-bank cover (see page 14-24 ).