Toyota Highlander Service Manual: Precaution
- Before disassembly, clean the outside of the rear differential assy and remove any sand or mud to prevent it from entering the inside of the assembly during disassembly and installation.
- When removing a connected part made of light alloy such as a rear differential carrier cover, tap it off with a plastic hammer. Do not attempt to pry it off with a screwdriver.
- Always arrange disassembled parts in order and protect them from dust.
- Before installation, thoroughly clean and dry each part and then apply hypoid gear oil LSD to it. Do not use alkaline cleaner for aluminum or rubber parts and ring gear set bolts. Also, do not clean rubber parts such as O-rings or oil seals with white gasoline.
- Coat any sliding surface and rotating part with hypoid gear oil LSD.
- When holding a part by vice, be sure to place an aluminum sheet under the part. Do not put it directly on the vice.
- Be careful not to damage the contact surfaces of the case. Such damage may cause oil leakage.
- Before applying sealant, remove deposited oil sealant and clean the part to be sealed using white gasoline.
- Do not fill oil immediately after installing sealed parts. Leave it for at least an hour.
- Damage on the surface being contact with an oil seal, O-ring or gasket may cause oil leakage.
Special attention should be paid.
- When press-fitting an oil seal, be careful not to damage the oil seal lip and outside periphery.
- When replacing a bearing, replace the inner and outer races as a set.
Problem symptoms tableUse the table below to help you find the cause of the problem. The causes of the problem are listed in order of probability in the "Suspected Area" column. Check each part in order. If necessary, ...
More about Toyota Highlander:
Checking and replacing fuses
If any of the electrical components do not operate, a fuse may have blown. If this happens, check and replace the fuses as necessary. Vehicles without a smart key system: turn the engine switch to the "lock" position. Vehicles with a smart key system: turn the engine switch off.