Toyota RAV4 Owners Manual: Selecting shift ranges in the s position
To enter s mode, shift the shift lever to s. Shift ranges can be selected by operating the shift lever, allowing you to drive in the shift range of your choosing. The shift range can be selected by the shift lever.
The selected shift range, from 1 to 6, will be displayed in the meter.
The initial shift range in s mode is set automatically to 5 or 4 according to vehicle speed. However, the initial shift range may be set to 3 if ai-shift has operated while the shift lever was in d.
Shift ranges and their functions
- Automatically selecting shift ranges between 1 and 6 according to vehicle speed and driving conditions. But the gear is limited according to selected range.
- You can choose from 6 levels of engine braking force.
- A lower shift range will provide greater engine braking force than a higher shift range, and the engine speed will also increase.
- When the shift range is 4 or lower, holding the shift lever toward “+” sets the shift range to 6.
- To prevent the engine from over-revving, upshifting may automatically occur.
- To protect the automatic transmission, a higher shift range may automatically selected when the fluid temperature is high.
Downshifting restrictions warning buzzer
To help ensure safety and driving performance, downshifting operation may sometimes be restricted. In some circumstances, downshifting may not be possible even when the shift lever is operated. (A buzzer will sound twice.)
Operation of the air conditioning system in eco drive mode
Eco drive mode controls the heating/cooling operations and fan speed* of the air conditioning system to enhance fuel efficiency („_p. 304, 313). To improve air conditioning performance, adjust the fan speed* or turn off eco drive mode.
*: Vehicles with an automatic air conditioning system only
Deactivation of the driving mode
- Eco drive mode will not be canceled until the “eco mode” button is pressed, even if the engine is turned off after driving in eco drive mode.
- Sport mode will be canceled if the engine is turned off after driving in sport mode.
When driving with cruise control activated
Even when performing the following actions with the intent of enabling engine braking, engine braking will not activate because cruise control will not be canceled.
- While driving in s mode, downshifting to 5 or 4.
- When switching the driving mode to sport mode while driving in d.
If the shift lever cannot be shifted from p
If the “s” indicator does not come on or the “d” indicator is displayed even after shifting the shift lever to s
This may indicate a malfunction in the automatic transmission system. Have the vehicle inspected by your toyota dealer immediately.
(In this situation, the transmission will operate in the same manner as when the shift lever is in d.)
If the automatic transmission fluid temperature warning light comes on (awd models only)
If the automatic transmission fluid temperature warning light comes on while driving, make sure to return to d position driving and reduce speed by easing off the accelerator pedal. Stop the vehicle in a safe place, shift the shift lever to p and let the engine idle until the warning light goes out.
When the warning light goes out, the vehicle can be driven again.
If the warning light does not go out after waiting a while, have your vehicle inspected by your toyota dealer.
The ai-shift automatically selects the suitable gear according to driver performance and driving conditions.
The ai-shift automatically operates when the shift lever is in d. (Shifting the shift lever to s cancels the function.)
When driving on slippery road surfaces
Do not accelerate or shift gears suddenly.
Sudden changes in engine braking may cause the vehicle to spin or skid, resulting in an accident.